The infamous London smog nearly prevented Morag and Tommy Quinn from getting to the church on time.

Tommy was working as a joiner in London the week before they were to get married.

However, the infamous city smog was very heavy and all transport was cancelled. It was only on Friday 14, after going to the railway station daily to check, that he was told there was a train going north – but it was leaving now. Tommy just managed to through his tool bag and himself into the guard’s van at the back of the train as it moved off.

And when he got home the next day had yet more problems. He had no phone in his house and neither did Morag in hers.

So, hoping that Morag would still show up at the church even without any idea where he was, Tommy raced off to the tailors to pick up a suit and make his own way to the church. And their faith in each other paid off and the marriage went ahead.

But this wasn’t the first travel incident to face the couple. The first time was when they first met – on Wednesday 19 June 1957 at Motherwell football ground.

They were representing their school athletics teams at the County Sports competition. Morag was from Rutherglen Academy and Tommy was from the Cambuslang School of Building.

After the competition, Tommy got a lift back on Morag’s school bus to Rutherglen where they had  their first date. Morag was 15 and Tommy had just turned 16.

But after they said their goodbyes, Tommy had to walk eight miles home to Carmyle.

But distance certainly proved to be no problem for the young couple. They were married on Saturday 15 December 1962.

On hand to help them celebrate their 60 years together was South Lanarkshire Provost Margaret Cooper, who presented the couple with flowers, a special bottle of whisky and a certificate on behalf of the council. And joining her was Deputy Lieutenant of Lanarkshire David Russell, who also presented them with a certificate, on behalf of Lord Lieutenant Lady Haughey CBE , to mark their achievement at the home in Quarter.

The couple originally stayed with Tommy’s mum in Carmyle before getting their own flat and then a Prefab nearby.

Two years later their son Graham was born and two years later daughter Julie was born.

Morag was a shorthand typist and Tommy was a joiner rising eventually to be a Construction Manager.

Tommy was also a member of the Boys Brigade and eventually became an Officer. And he and Morag also ran the junior Section of the BB in Carmyle for a number of years.

Morag’s hobbies are also singing and Church activities.

A keen footballer, Tommy also ran Burnbank Boys Football club for teams aged from 10 up to 15. He and Morag even took 14 boys to Canada for two weeks.

They moved to Quarter 42 years ago and both are Elders of Quarter Parish Church. Tommy grows plants and sells the flowers to raise funds for the church. He is also the President of Quarter in Bloom.

Posted by Gavin Whitefield